[Update] Exclusive: Ubisoft cancels Ghost Recon Commander, layoffs hit Loot Drop

Update: Ubisoft has confirmed the Ghost Recon Commander’s cancelation. “Ghost Recon Commander will unfortunately be discontinued because the game play mechanics did not resonate with the core gamer audience.  For our Ghost Recon fans, we will continue to operate Ghost Recon Commander from now until the end of the calendar year with monetization removed.  This decision does not reflect a change of strategy for any of Ubisoft’s other social games currently in development or operation.”

Original article is below.

We’ve learned Ubisoft canceled its Ghost Recon’s social game franchise Ghost Recon Commander, forcing developer Loot Drop to let go of the game’s development team. Loot Drop co-founder Brenda Romero (formerly Brenda Brathwaite) confirmed this with us moments ago.

This is a major shift from what we were told at Ubisoft’s Digital Day in August, when VP of Digital Publishing Chris Early told us the game was actually going to be ported to iPad and that the publisher was happy with the updates Loot Drop had implemented into the game since it launched.

At the moment, the game still loads on Facebook and its official app page doesn’t have any notice about the game’s impending shutdown.

We’ve reached out to Ubisoft and will update the story when we receive a response.

Ghost Recon Commander was Loot Drop’s first game and was certainly its highest-profile title. The game was designed to be played alongside Ubisoft’s AAA Ghost Recon: Future Soldier to create cross-platform promotions, with both versions unlocking exclusive content like weapons, characters and skins. At the Digital Day event, we were also told there were plans to incorporate Ghost Recon Commander with future Ghost Recon titles from Ubisoft.

Although Ghost Recon Commander didn’t really catch on with social players initially, the game’s traffic has actually been at its highest levels recently: Our AppData traffic-tracking service shows Ghost Recon Commander currently has 180,000 monthly active users and 20,000 daily active users. Prior to mid-October, the game’s best traffic was 100,000 MAU and 10,553 DAU.

Ubisoft’s other social games don’t seem to have been affected by this development. AppData shows the company’s top four social titles are still The Smurfs & Co. (with 650,000 MAU and 70,000 DAU), CSI: Crime City (540,000 MAU/50,000 DAU), House M.D.: Critical Cases (510,000 MAU/60,000 DAU) and CSI: Miami Heat Wave (460,000 MAU/50,000 DAU). Still, Ubisoft’s numbers are significantly lower than their September 2011 peaks of 1.8 million DAU and 13.8 million MAU; currently the company has 274,806 DAU and 2.78 million MAU.

The fate of Ghost Recon Commander may mark the company’s intent to sunset other underperforming social titles, much like Zynga said it would last week after it shut down several studios and laid off approximately 5 percent of its work force. Ubisoft hasn’t announced any plans like this yet, but it might be trying to pre-emptively trim some fat from its social games catalog after Zynga’s underwhelming earnings report and the news that browser game developer Bigpoint had also been forced to let approximately 40 of its employees go from its San Francisco office.

Romero tells us that while the Ghost Recon Commander team was forced to be let go, the developer still has two other projects in development and is continuing to operate Pettington Park on Google+. This has been a rough couple of weeks for the developer, as it was recently forced to cancel the role-playing game it was trying to launch via Kickstarter.

Developing.

Social Media 201

Mediabistro Course

Social Media 201

Starting October 13, Social Media 201 will provide you with hands-on instruction for gaining followers and engagement. Social media experts will teach you how to make social media marketing work for your bottom line and achieving your business goals. Register now!

 

Leave a Reply

3 Responses to “[Update] Exclusive: Ubisoft cancels Ghost Recon Commander, layoffs hit Loot Drop”

  1. Ghost Recon: Commander cancelled | More Games says:

    [...] contacted Ubisoft for a statement. In a response posted by Inside Social Games, Ubisoft said: “Ghost Recon Commander will unfortunately be discontinued because the game [...]

  2. Ghost Recon: Commander – Ubisofts isometrischer Taktik-Shooter wird Ende des Jahres eingestellt » playm.de says:

    [...] “Diese Entscheidung bedeutet jedoch keine Strategieänderung für irgendwelche anderen Social Games, die Ubisoft derzeit entwickelt oder betreibt”, so das französische Unternehmen weiter. [...]

  3. Large Animal Games debuts Universal Film Mogul on Facebook says:

    [...] Universal Film Mogul is an interesting entry into the social games genre for a number of reasons. Not only does it combine a number of major movie properties (all under the Universal label), but it’s the first new social game Ubisoft’s published since CSI Miami: Heat Wave and canceled Loot Drop’s Ghost Recon Commander. [...]

Get the latest news in your inbox
interested in advertising with inside social games?

Social Media Jobs
of the Day

Social/PR Manager

Small, hot SoCal ad agency
CamarilloCamarillo, CA

Content Marketing / Sales

Mediaplanet
New York, NY

Marketing Manager

True North Custom
Chattanooga, TN

Press and Media Relations Manager

Americans for the Arts
Washington, DC

Social Media Manager (Pleasanton)

Avanquest North America
Pleasanton, CA

Featured Company

Join leading companies like this one and recruit from the nation's top media job seekers on the Mediabistro Job Board. Every job post comes with our satisfaction guarantee. Learn More
 

Our Sponsors

Mediabistro A division of Prometheus Global Media home | site map | advertising/sponsorships | careers | contact us | help courses | browse jobs | freelancers | content | member benefits | reprints & permissions terms of use | privacy policy Copyright © 2014 Mediabistro Inc. call (212) 389-2000 or email us