Top 25 Facebook Games for December 2010
As with last year, the holiday slowdown is underway, but while numbers seem to drop around this season, the decline of monthly active users over the past few months have already been quite high — Especially bad last month, many of the older running titles are still losing users in the millions. That said, December 1st has revealed a few new faces on the Top 25 as well as the rise of fresher titles in general, including the still growing Millionaire City, Car Town, and Crime City.
Looking at the top 25 also obscures the bigger stories of the year. Developers of all sizes, including the owners of the apps you see here, have greatly improved monetization regardless of growth. And hundreds of smaller apps have been growing more than ever, as we’ve covered in detail here.
With more and more social games increasing their sophistication and production quality in terms of play, storytelling, and overall engagement, such will no doubt continue to grow whereas the older titles will experience the natural decline of age.
And a note before we get started with the details: with so many new social games appearing on the Facebook platform – from both large and small developers – we’ve since removed the “game-like” applications, such as Quiz Planet and Birthday Cards to make room. Even still, the top titles will likely remain where they are on an MAU-basis simply due to larger advertising budgets, cross promotions and other efforts.
Here are the highlights for the Top 25 Facebook Games for December 2010:
- As expected, Zynga remains on top of the list with six of its titles, leading the way with FarmVille. However, all save FrontierVille (having gained around 88,000 MAU) have lost over 1 million MAU, with FarmVille, Mafia Wars, and Cafe World losing well over 2 million.
- In after Zynga, at #7, is Digital Chocolate and their highly successful real estate game, Millionaire City. Having moved up another two rankings, the title gains over 800,000 MAU.
- PopCap also sees positive growth with its, now older, title Bejeweled Blitz. Currently, the game hosts around 11.8 million MAU.
- Once again, MindJolt Games finds itself fluctuating around the middle of the pack, having lost 1.2 million users this month. Nevertheless, it’s a title that has long remained stable in its position.
- CrowdStar is seeing declines as well in its long running Happy Acquarium and Happy Pets. At #11 and #17, the titles have lost approximately 1.2 million and 800,000 MAU respectively.
- Zoo World from RockYou comes in at #13, and is yet another game experiencing growth. With about 480,000 new users, its MAU count totals out at about 8.1 million.
- Cie Games sees the second largest growth this month with Car Town. Boasting 7.2 million MAU, the app had gained over 1.1 million new users.
- It was Funzio’s Crime City, however, that saw the biggest numbers. With around 6.6 million users, its MAU growth was a tremendous 3.5 million.
- Girls-only-game Mall World also makes an appearence this month. Developed by 50 Cubes, the title gains 449,235 MAU to come in at #21.
- Rounding out the list is the return of Wooga’s Bubble Island with an 800,000 MAU gain, followed by the title Ninja Saga, who loses a little over 300,000 MAU.